Friday, February 6, 2015

Wikipedia | A community of Magic?

Adam Grace Gets Wiki'd

Well, it finally happened.  Someone created a Wikipedia page about me. ( See the Adam Grace Wikipedia Page. )

I often wondered when it would happen.  My band, Truth & Salvage Co,  got Wiki'd a few years ago. Other projects I have been involved with have been Wiki'd.  I just patiently waited ... and waited... I even read an article about how the articles got created.  I still waited and I never tried to create my own.

Then, yesterday, someone emailed me and said "You have a Wikipedia page."  I checked... and it was there.  Boom!

Having a Wiki page is not some ego-stroking adventure.  I just find it very interesting that someone out there took the time to create a page about me.  

So What?


Well, I recently read a book, Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us, which pointed out how projects can become gigantic if the people creating them have the proper drive and motivation.  At the time of Wikipedia's creation, Microsoft had it's own version of a digital encyclopedia that was on track to sell millions.  Suddenly, a crowd-sourced project comes along and surpasses everything that Microsoft was trying to do.  Wiki now owns the Encyclopedia market!

The entire site of Wikipedia is made by people like you and me!  Think about what must motivate someone to sit and create entries in Wiki?  There is no pay.  There is no physical reward.  What do people get from it?

The answer is clear:  People want to be a part of something bigger and greater than themselves.  

Community of Magic?

There is so much information about magic, methods, and the history of magicians.  There is exposure, and lies, and a ton of information for a budding magician to find.  Yes, the Wiki is a community of magicians all working on preserving the history of magic in the digital age.  

Once you dig deep enough, you can find the answers to almost every question about magic.  Okay...dig away!

No comments: